Thursday, February 21, 2013

American Idol Recap: Girls On Fire

American Idol, Episode 10: Girls in Hollywood, Pt. 2


So, I guess I should start this recap off by apologizing.  I sort of gave away that Kez Ban doesn't make it through Hollywood week.  I didn't even give a spoiler alert.  Sorry 'bout it, y'all.  So, now that that is out of the way, time for the final night of the ladies in Hollywood.  It was a great episode, jam packed with phenomenal performances and one lady who hit me out of nowhere and catapulted herself up the ranks, proving that she is the one to meet.

Angela Miller starts off the show and sings an original song called "You Set Me Free."  Sitting at the piano, Angela is confident, her voice is pure and full of power and the song is fantastic.  Seriously.  This song needs to be on iTunes immediately so I can download it and listen to it on repeat.  Damn.  Angela took a huge risk and it paid off in spades.  In case you didn't get it, the one to beat that I mentioned earlier, it's totally Angela.

Candice Glover and Janelle Arthur are up next.  Candice is up first and she destroys "Girl On Fire."  Every time she performs I get chills.  Her voice is out of control.  If she doesn't make it to the top two this year, something is wrong with America.  

Janelle followed that with a pretty by the numbers rendition of "I Told You So."  I like Janelle's voice and she has a great personality.  I just feel like she is playing it a little safe.  I hope she takes risks, because I think she has it in her and if she does she could be a huge threat.

All three ladies sail through, to no ones surprise.

Zoanette Johnson is next and she is going to play the drums.  She had a song ready to go, but then she decides to change and she basically made up a song on the spot.  Seriously.  Why is this happening?  Her performance is manic and ridiculous.  It is off pitch and ridiculous.  In a terrible way.  I'm not sure what is happening.  I can say, that Zoanette has potential and some raw talent.  She just needs to take her medication and maybe take some vocal lessons to refine her instrument and maybe come back.  Right now, it just seems like a big joke that is on the audience.  Of course, Zoanette went through too.

Next up is Shubha Vedula.  She sings "When You Believe."  Mariah is singing along.  I was a fan.  Shubha is insanely talented and like Keith said, she is a brave girl.  That is a tough song to sing and Shubha brought it.

So did Juliana Chahayed with a beautiful, lilting version of "Landslide."  I was right there with Nicki.  That is one of my favorite songs, too.  Gorgeous.

Then Kez Ban.  My dear, sweet, Kez Ban.  She sings an original song.  I like it.  The judges have obviously been told by Uncle Nigel that their love affair with Kez is over, so they send her on her way, right then and there.  They suck.  Seriously.  Zoanette over Kez Ban.  Whatever.  

Ashley Feliciano is next.  She sings "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri.  I have been a fan of Ashley since her first audition, but this was the wrong song for her.  Most definitely.  This is also the introduction to a bunch of sad sack performances.

The mood is lightened by Melinda Ademi who does a high energy "Price Tag" by Jessie J.  It's hard for me not enjoy this song no matter who is singing it.  I was definitely doing some couch dancing right along with Nicki and Keith.  I wasn't mad at Melinda.  

Kree Harrison is next.  She sings "Stars" by Grace Potter & The Nocturnals.  She has a great voice.  If you close your eyes and listen to her sing, it takes you away.  Then you look at her and it makes you uncomfortable.  She has no star quality at all.  Zero stage presence.  Her voice is on point though.

Kree and Melinda go through, but unfortunately it's the end of the line for Ashley.  I hope that Ashley comes back next year.  Brianna Oakley, the girl who was bullied, also gets the boot and a super emotional Sarina Joi Crowe.

There are 24 girls left after the cut that need to be whittled down to 20.  Randy cuts 3 girls right away, but there is still one more girl who needs to be cut.  It's time for a good, old fashioned sing off.  Stephanie Schimel is the first.  She decides to sing "Home" with the band.  I'm not a huge Stephanie fan, but it is good.  Next up is Rachel Hale.  You remember Rachel?  She is Janelle Arthur's arch enemy since they are both female country singers.  She sings "Undone" by Haley Reinhart and I am feeling it.  I love the song and Rachel kills it.  Stephanie is sent on her merry way.

The boys have to go through the same process.  The judges pull out Adam Sanders first.  Adam sings a screechy, off-key version of Celine Dion's "Taking Chances."  Josh Holiday is next.  He sings "Georgia On My Mind."  The whole thing comes off as very lounge singer to me.  I am not feeling it.  I did a good chuckle when he split his pants, though.  Eight guys get cut including Adam Sanders and David Leathers, Jr.  I was sad to see David go last year, and was sad to see him go this year.

So, we have our top 40!  Things really get going next week in Vegas.  Here we go.


No comments:

Post a Comment