Friday, January 11, 2013

I Just Don't Get.... Kathy Griffin

I Just Don't Get... Kathy Griffin


I'll probably get my gay card revoked for this (not like I use it that much anyways), but I just don't understand why people enjoy Kathy Griffin.  I don't really understand her appeal.  I know that she was on Suddenly Susan which was an OK show.  Then, a few years later, she starred on her own reality series, My Life on the D-List and that is really where she became more well-known and gained this really large, rabid fan base, that is largely gay.  I watched a few episodes of the show and was not impressed.  It's so funny, no one knows who you are.  Ha ha.  Look at you desperately trying to break into the A-List.  Har har.  She just comes off to me as really grating and shrill and annoying.

So, I told my gay friends that I was just not feeling the fire crotch.  They told me that what I really needed to check out was her stand up.  That is where she really shines.  I thought, OK.  I'll give it a go. So, I watched one of her million Bravo stand up specials and didn't laugh once.  Not even a chuckle.  All she does is tell stories about celebrities that she has met and offended and the pseudo embarrassing things that they have done around her or that she heard about second hand,which is a lot of what the stories are.  It's like when someone comes to you and says they heard from a friend of a friend that this happened to another one of your friends.  It is kind of entertaining, but it would be more entertaining if you had, A.) witnessed it yourself or B.) talked to the person who had seen what happened directly.  Don't get me wrong, I love skewering celebrities and intelligent cultural satire, but what Kathy does just seems lame to me.  She goes for the most obvious joke, which is typically a riff on a joke that a better comedian has already made.  It is quintessential low hanging fruit.  

Then there are her "shocking" antics when she co-hosts New Year's Eve with Anderson Cooper.  The stunts she pulls are not that funny and come off really cheap and desperate.  I mean, this year she kissed Anderson's crotch a couple of times at midnight.  I mean, really?  Is that shocking?  I mean, she is basically Cooper's fag hag.  I mean, I can't tell you the number of times my hag has inappropriately groped me or I her.  How is that shocking?  Kathy is just an unrepentant fame whore and I get that is her whole schtick, but it is just terrible, because it doesn't seem like schtick.  It seems like that is just who she is as a person.  Anyways, I guess, I'll say that the second season of Kathy premiered on Bravo this past Thursday with a live (God help us) episode.  

What do you guys think of Kathy?  Am I being too harsh?  Do you think I just don't get it?  Explain it to me in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment